The Mana de Metro Detroit General Scholarship was the first scholarship established by our organization in 1996. This scholarship is for students that have not declared a major or for students whose major is outside the other three (3) scholarships offered by MANA.
Scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded for costs relating to educational expenses only (i.e. tuition, books, supplies, etc.) Scholarship checks will be made payable to the recipient and university, community college, or vocational school.
Scholarships awards must be used during the 2023-2024 academic year. Prior recipients may reapply annually. Awards will depend on the availability of funds and demonstrated student financial need, academic achievement, and community involvement.
- Hispanic/Latina women seeking an undergraduate degree;
- Detroit/Metro Detroit resident;
- Currently fulfilling high school graduation requirements or GED equivalent; or any student who has been formally admitted to, or is currently attending a university, community college, or vocational school;
- Eligible applicants may also include MANA de Metro Detroit members, relative of members, and participants in the “Hermanitas” Program.
Each application MUST be filled out completely and returned electronically by TBD, 2023. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The following documents must be attached to your application:
- Current academic transcripts and/or GED scores;
- Letter of acceptance from school or proof of registration;
- Current letters of recommendation from two educators or community representatives;
- One to two page bio talking about your past experiences and future plans as it relates to your educational goals and community involvement;
- A copy of the Free Application of Federal Financial Student Aid for 2023-2024. OR,
- A copy of last federal tax return or proof of total household income for 2022.
Scholarship awardees will automatically become MANA members for the scholarship year. Recipients can use MANA as a reference on their resumes of professional organization participation. Recipients must also be willing to provide five (5) hours of volunteer work for any non-profit organization of their choice for each scholarship year.
All information must be received electronically by the MANA Scholarship Committee on or before TBD, 2023. NOTE: Applications submitted after the due date will not be considered or reviewed by the committee. If additional information is needed, please contact Ines de Jesus via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Members or relatives of members of the Scholarship Review Committee are not eligible for a Mana de Metro Detroit General Scholarship.